Sunday, July 6, 2008

Rejected and Still Kicking

I received my ninth rejection yesterday on my last book, but if you count the publishing houses that only contact you if they're interested (and they've had at least six months), then I'm up to twelve. BUT...I did get my second personalized rejection after my summer vacation: "Very well written," writes the editor from Wendy Lamb Books, "but the story isn't right for me." Tell me about it. No one likes the story. And it is pretty juvenile even for YA fiction. I find I'm getting hardened to rejection. They use to bum me out for a couple of days and now I pop them in my drawer and figure I'll wall paper a bathroom with all my rejection letters someday. I'm now working on a bizarre retelling of Cinderella that takes place in a land that mirrors Yellowstone National Park and where wishes don't come true the way the wishers think they will. I've used the story to apply for a works in progress grant from my writing organization. Winners are announced on Labor Day. I'm crossing my fingers for at least a letter of merit. With the help of my crit group, the story is coming a long a lot better than the last one. I'm expecting another rejection this week. Man, sometimes these people will drag rejections out FOREVER!!!

2 comments:

Arianne said...

Good for you for sticking to your hobby. I really enjoyed reading Gift of Steel. Keep going!

Mary Ellen said...

Good for you, Emily! Keep your chin up!