Saturday, March 12, 2011

Matt's Medical Mission to Guatamala

This is Matt's brother Jon and the Jesus chair they found in Antigua. I'm including this because I think the chair is hilarious. Their bus driver lamented that Antigua used to be 100% catholic and is now only 85%. After treating patients at one of the scools, the village leader insisted on feeding everyone lunch. Matt was brave enough to eat the food, but not the drink.
Six docs, six interpreters, and the captain of the boat, sailed down Lake Izabo and some river I can't remember, stopping at four remote villages and an orphanage.
Here's Matt and one of his patients. They actually diagnosed this girl with TB and had to find a way to get her to a real clinic a day away for a three day follow up. Hopefully her family will get her there.
The people Matt saw live in these tiny jungle villages in grass and tin huts with dirt floors. They are actually Mayans and don't speak Spanish. Each kid was given a deworming pill, a pack of vitamins, a tooth brush, two colored pencils, and a sticker. Matt said they are a tiny people. Matt would tower over the mom in this picture.
This is their pharmacy station. They mostly treated people for worms, lice, and scabies.
Here's their clinic. They'd set up at the local school using the kids' desks. All the schools had bars on the windows to keep people from stealing the school supplies. They saw about 200 people at each school they stopped at. It would be the village and people would hike in from surrounding villages, too.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

what a cool trip!

Arianne said...

That is so neat. I've always hoped to go on a service mission someday, so the pictures are fascinating. I hope the girl with TB got to her follow-up.

Amy F. said...

That's great that he did that! What a neat experience for him and a great help to everyone there also. I'm glad he was safe too!