Thursday, May 26, 2011

Baby Chicks



Paul's second grade class hatched some chicken eggs for a science project.  I think they started out with about two dozen, checked those to see which were fertilirzed and ended up with about a dozen. From that dozen, only three hatched:  chocolate chick, penny, and chickmunk (which looks like a chipmunk with stripes, believe it or not).  Paul really wanted me to come see the chicks, so I headed over after school on Monday.  Paul ran out of the building with a frown to tell me that chocolate chick had died over the weekend.  So out of twenty four eggs, there were two little chicks running around in the box for Paul and Luke to hold.  I'm amazed at how much he learned about how the chickens develop in the eggs and how they get out.  They even opened some of the duds during class to study--ew, gross.  Paul said one had a bunch of black feathers and goo in it.  Luke loved holding the chicks and Jarom got to view them safely from his stroller (safe for the chicks, not for him necessarily).


No comments: