Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Apple Butterscotch Squares

My friend Connie recommended a cookbook to try and I just got my copy from the library.  I've made three recipes out of it so far with another four planned for this week and I love them.  Here's a recipe I took to an in-law dinner as an alternative to the other junk that is brought (I brought my own salad, too, which was good since dinner choices were full fat chicken salad, egg salad, or cheesy potatoes and not a fruit in sight):

Apple Butterscotch Squares

2 large Golden Delicious apples
1 c all purpose flour
3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/4 C ground flaxseed or wheat germ
1 t baking powder
1 t pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 C canola oil
1/3 C butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 9x14 pan with nonstick cooking spray.  Add dry ingredients in one bowl and mix.  Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.  Quarter and grate both apples with skins on and add to wet ingredients.  Pour wet over dry ingredients and stir till just combined.  Add chips and stir to combine.  Pour into pan and bake 35 minutes.

20 servings.  Per serving:  170 cal, 8g fat, 120 mg sodium, 23g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3g protein
From "No Whine With Dinner"

No comments: