Friday, June 27, 2008

Kid Friendly Recipe

My high school friends are posting recipes the month of June and I missed the week of the kid friendly recipe. I've been racking my brains trying to think of something my kids eat with gusto that isn't pizza, mac and cheese, hamburgers, or spagetti. They do like chicken and will eat it in any variety unless I make it too spicy. Here's a recent one I tried that everyone "seemed" to like. They may hate it the next time I make it. Teriyaki chicken with roasted scallions 2 T soy sauce 1 T rice vinegar 1/2 C honey 1 garlic clove, minced 1 t grated peeled fresh ginger 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 lbs--I use the pkg of thighs and drumsticks), cut into 8 pieces 4 bunches scallions, greens cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces (4 seemed like a lot, so I use just one or two to add to the rice) 1 T vegetable oil coarse salt and ground pepper 1. Preheat oven to 450, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a med. bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey, garlic, and ginger. Divide sauce between two bowls; use one for basting and reserve other for serving. 2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (use a couple layers because you DON'T want this sauce burning on your pan. It will not come off). Place chicken on sheet, and baste. Bake on upper rack 20 min., basting twice with pan juices. 3. Transfer to lower rack; baste once more. Continue to cook until thermometer inserted into a breast (avoiding bone) registers 165, 5 to 10 min more. 4. Meanwhile, on another rimmed baking sheet, toss scallions with oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on upper rack until crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes. To serve: Remove chicken from pan and spoon however many servings of cooked rice you need, over the pan juices (you can drain most of that out if you want). Layer scallions over rice, sprinkle sesame seeds on if you want (toast them first), lay the chicken overtop, and drizzle with reserved sauce. Serves 4 adults, but with kids it'll feed six.

No comments: