Thursday, June 5, 2008
Recipe Month
Some of my blogger friends are sharing recipes this month. The first one is What Recipe Do You Like To Share? (Sorry, Ari, mine's Thai too!)
I had a college roomy who went to Thailand on her mission and she taught me a couple dishes when she came out to visit me once in Detroit. This one was a family favorite and the one I serve to first time missionaries and friends that come over for dinner. Elyse asks for this one every week (but then she picks out all the onions and basil. Crazy girl)
Stir Fry Basil
(Everything in this recipe is according to taste and I never measure, so all these measurements are approximate)
In a wok or large fry pan, heat peanut or canola oil (1-2 T) and add 1-2 garlic cloves, minced, and a few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes. When the garlic starts to brown, add 1/2 of a thinly sliced purple onion. When onion is translucent (about 5 min) add the meat. You can use a pound to a pound and a half of ground pork or about 4-5 chicken breasts sliced thin. When the meat is browned (and mostly cooked all the way through), add 1-2 spoonsfuls of sugar, around a 1/4C soy sauce (I just sprinkle over the whole pan till it looks like I hit most of the meat), and around 1 C of oyster sauce (found in most mega marts and in asian cooking stores). When everything gets nice and bubbly, turn down the heat to low and cover the top with two chopped beefsteak tomatoes and a bunch of torn basil leaves. Let it wilt for about eight to ten minutes. Stir everything together and serve with sticky rice.
We usually serve this dish with an easy cantelope salad.
One cantelope sliced thinly, chopped, or use a melon baller.
Add the zest of one lime and the juice and 1/4 C honey. Mix it all together and serve.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This sounds so good. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!
Post a Comment