Here's what Jarom looks like before you try to feed him: happy, smiley. Than he decides he's hungry and nursing just doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. When he watches us eat, he smacks his lips, sticks out his tongue, tries to grab everything on my plate, and I think, hmm, he's still hungry, let's give him some baby food.
This is what Jarom looks like when he knows you're going to give him solids and before he swallows: teeth clamped together and the "don't you dare" look. After I manage to get a spoonful past the fortress of teeth, the crying commences. Well, then it's easy to get the food in because he's howling. He hates everything: rice cereal, peas, green beans, carrots, bananas, etc.
We've had very marginal success with a bit of applesauce in the rice cereal. It frustrates me no end. After getting him to swallow two tablespoons(with more spit out all over both of us)
he won't try anymore, but still acts hungry. Then I finally latch him back on and when he's stopped hiccuping from his cries, guzzles like he's never had a drink before. The big whiner baby. Today I threw some of those snack puffs in his mouth out of sheer desperation and to my surprise he actually sucked on the, swallowed, and smiled. Great...he likes snacks. Who doesn't? But it was nice to have a meal without crying.
Incidentally, that way cute sweater he's wearing in the first picture was knitted by yours truly. I'm still amazed you can make a shirt out of a piece of string. I started it forever ago and now that it's done, it'll only fit him for maybe four weeks. No more knitting projects for me for a while--they take too long.
3 comments:
Grrr! That was exactly how Hyrum was. So frustrating! He'd bat the spoon away and I'd have sweet potatos all over the place. I gave up until he was old enough to feed himself crackers and soft foods. Because of him, I was reluctant to start solids on my last 2 babies. Emma still hasn't had a bite of rice cereal.
Wow, love the sweater. I was actually admiring it before I read you had made it.
All my babies have been stinkers when it came to solids. I was so glad when they got old enough for me to just throw our meals in the baby grinder. I don't know how, but they could tell they weren't getting the same stuff we were eating. Glad you could find something to tide him over.
He's a darling baby.
My kids have all hated baby food. They just wanted real people food. It tastes better. I wonder if they ever have anyone taste baby food, because it sure smells gross.
That is a very cute sweater you made! But I agree, knitting takes way too long.
Post a Comment