Friday, November 20, 2009

My Little Girl's All Grown Up and...

Wearing a bra! We have a pretty open household here. The kids often see me nurse and, like the house where I grew up, Elyse and I often talk to each other while we're both getting ready in the bathroom. Over the course of a few years a lot of questions have been asked and answered. So I don't know why I was so nervous to talk to her about getting a bra when I noticed she'd started to develop and really needed to wear one. To my surprise, though, the conversation was extremely easy. "Elyse, I think it's time to get you a bra." Answer: "Okay." "Okay?" "Ya, okay." "Do you have any questions?" "No." "Do you know if any girls in your class are wearing one?" She rolls her eyes. "That's not something you ask your friends." So we went shopping together at the mall yesterday, came home with four, and off to school she went with one on this morning. That was a lot less embarrassing on both sides than I was expecting. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She's known it'd happen sooner or later. I must say, they have cooler stuff now than when I first started. Some look like short tank tops, and lots don't have the tricky hooks, but just pull over your head like a sports bra. It's a lot easier until they get used to wearing them.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I have a feeling that went a lot smoother than some of the conversations I have lurking in my future....Gulp! It sounds like you were cool about it. I'm still traumatized from the time my mom took me shopping for my first bra. Awww, memories!

Arianne said...

Ghost of Christmas Future. Can't believe our kids are getting old enough for these sorts of things. Maybe I'll get a hold of you in a couple years when my daughter is ready to find out which are the best.

Mary Ellen said...

Wow, what a relief. I'll never forget when Caleb discovered his testes and kept massaging them. When I asked him to stop he said, "But Mom, it feels really good." So obviously I'm very scared for the future.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! We aren't quite there yet...well, at least the 9 yr. old isn't. I think S. will need one sooner than her big sis.!

Good for you for being open! What a horrible trauma that day was for me and many days after that!

My girls and I had a little conversation about maxi-pads in a rest stop this weekend, but it just wasn't the place to be very open and answer questions about tampons...fun days ahead!