Wednesday, May 5, 2010

In the Minority

I helped at a teacher's luncheon at the elementary school yesterday. Sometimes I get a true taste of what it's like being a minority--especially when I show up at my kids' school. We live in an area where healthcare is the biggest industry and most of our doctors in town come from India or somewhere in the middle east. All the ladies helping with the luncheon are from Pakistan. I felt strangely immodestly dressed in my shorts cut off two inches below my knee and my three quarter length sleeves in comparison to the women wrapped from head to toe in flowing robes and dark head scarves. I could tell they were trying to use English around me--a language they have mastered--but they flew in between their native tongue and mine so easily and quickly I could scarcely keep up with the conversation sometimes. Nice, nice ladies, though. Completely devoted to their children and their school. I came away feeling like the mom who never participates in any part of my kids' education--however, I realize I have twice as many kids so that makes it harder. They were obviously all friends, so I appreciated them trying so hard to ask about my kids and giving me a job to do. I even found out two live in the next subdivision over. Turned out to be a fun afternoon and an eye opener about how non members must feel coming to church. Everyone understands the mormon language and everyone is friends. I can at least go out of my way when new people show up to help them feel included.

No comments: