Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Basement

I'm behind on posting my project 52 pictures, but for two good reasons: 1. Matt was so nice and bought me a new laptop since we couldn't get the "n" key to work anymore and the poor thing would churn and churn and churn and I couldn't get work done quickly. However, not all my files have transferred over, we're still deciding how to store pictures and where, and my printer still doesn't work. I have a bunch of pics sitting in the camera and no idea where to put them. 2. Finishing the basement has finally required my assitance. Up until now Matt's been down there alone working on different projects and I am basically useless with power tools. I'm afraid of saws, I strip screw heads, and basically have no idea how to measure things correctly. We've had a guy in the ward put up the sheet rock and mud and hang doors and windows, but Matt's done all the electrical, moved a couple walls, built an entire bouldering wall with over 900 holes for the holds, painted the floor, put in a sub floor, and put up cabinets. I feel like a never see him because after work he heads straight down to the basement. We're both pretty tired of the whole thing, but there always seems like there's more to be done. Last week we stained and finished the climbing wall, painted and sealed and put up a fireman's pole, and I stayed up until 2:30am painting walls only to get up the next day and paint some more. Next on the agenda: finish putting in cabinets, snap in the laminate floor for the craft area, order a counter top and order carpet for the rest for the rest of the basement. When the basement is actually "done" there will be even more to do. All the storage rooms have to be cleaned out shelf by shelf and item by item. A layer of white dust covers all my food storage cans --everything we have down there. My craft closet upstairs has to be sorted through and taken down to the new area in the basement. I should be really excited about everything, but I'm too tired to be excited. It's been so hard getting our contractor friend to show up on a consistent basis that I'm afraid the small bits and pieces will never get done and we'll be tinkering down there for another five months. This thing has already consumed our lives since Thanksgiving. The contractor was supposed to finish in February. I'm so so SO sick of the whole thing. If I ever move, I'm buying a house with a finished basement.

2 comments:

Arianne said...

What I would give for a basement, even unfinished. I bet you'll love it when you're finished. And there's something attractive to being able to customize it. Lucky you for your upcoming craft space!

Connie said...

I was so glad to have our basement finally finished. It's a huge pain while it is being done,but well worth it in the end. It sounds like you are doing most of the work yourselves. Good luck!