Friday, September 25, 2009

Sweet Sixteen

Elyse has started watching the teeny bopper shows on Disney. After watching an episode on first date/first kiss, I sat her and Paul down for a talk on how we don't do that stuff until we're at least sixteen (OR OLDER). I told them about how my parents said if I made sweet sixteen and didn't kiss anybody on the lips until then, they'd take me out for an expensive dinner. So I passed the tradition on to the kids. Paul got really excited. "Can I order an appetizer?" he asked. "Of course." "Dessert, too?" asked Elyse. "Sure." It was then that my six year old's face crumpled. "Mom," he said in a tiny voice, "I have to talk to you about something." "What is it Paul?" "I don't think I'm going to make it to sweet sixteen." A little shocked, I said, "Why not?" "Because I might have kissed Drea(his favorite girl at school) on the forehead...or the lips." "OR?" I asked, not understanding. "Ya, I blew her a kiss like this." He stops to demonstrate a blow kiss. "And I don't know if it landed on her forehead or her lips!" Trying not to laugh my head off, I explained that blow kisses were all right.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Too funny! I bet your heart dropped there for a minute. Ty asked me yesterday why kissing was evil. I asked him where he heard that, and he replied "from you." Hmmm, I don't ever remember thinking or saying that, but if he wants to believe it for the next several years, that's fine with me!

Arianne said...

Good for Paul being honest. And good for you for not totally cracking up!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that makes my day!!! I love that little boy. That is very sweet!

Connie said...

That is too funny. Thanks for a good laugh!