
Matt, Jarom, and I just got back from a weekend stint in Utah. A couple months ago we had a wild idea about seeing a BYU football game. I hadn't been to one since my freshman year. With luck and help from family, Matt got time off work and miles from Delta, and we flew out for a short break. Friday morning we took a tour of the conference center. Here's Jarom with the SLC temple in the background.

I've never been on the conference center roof before. Did you know there's four acres of gardens up there? And a big rock mural?

Third level of the conference center. I wish we could have stopped at every painting. Darn 9/11. Now you need a guide to go anywhere in the building. The tour is about one mile long, with a brieft stop on all three levels and the roof.

After our tour, we ate lunch at the Red Iguana on North Temple. For you food network fans, Guy Fieri stopped here to try out their 7 different moles. And let me tell you, the Mole Verde was outstanding. I want to go back and try the other six.

The front door o the Red Iguana is covered with stickers and grafiti. It looks like a total dive from the outside, but people line up even before it opens. If you arrive at 11:15, you're too late to get a table and have to wait outside until one comes up.

After lunch we went hiking in Big Cottonwood canyon. I wanted to see Donut Falls, but we mistakenly ended up on a trail to Dogwood Lake. Beautiful hike, not so great destination. Dogwood Lake is like a little pond. And to our amazement, it was already frozen over.

Jarom didn't like the snow so much.

The last .6 miles to the lake was over hard packed snow at a steep incline. For every step up, you slid halfway back. I got a bad case of the giggles going down the trail. For every two slides, I had a fall, then a giggle, and then another slide.

So Dog Lake was completely frozen. I stomped on it with my foot and fell in up to my calf. Don't stomp on a frozen lake. At least I couldn't feel the cold anymore with that foot.

And finally on Saturday we went to the game. This was my kind of football game: we dominated all four quarters and made no major embarrassing mistakes. BYU 52: UNLV 7.
It was fun seeing all my sisters again. Wish I could have stayed longer.
3 comments:
How fun! I wish you could have stayed longer too!
From what Gary tells me, you sure picked the right game to attend. What a fun trip. I liked the picture with Jarom and the temple.
The Red Iguana is one of Dan's favorite places to eat with new-hires or interview-ees. He took me there once and it was really good. I need to go again!
Glad you had a good time! I tried to go to a USU game and we got rained on - or drenched is a better word. And we lost, too, which is normal for USU, but still. It wasn't nearly as fun as your game looks.
Post a Comment