There are up sides to working too much, like having more money, but, man, you really reach a point where money just doesn't seem worth it.
The good news is they've hired three new people. The bad news is they don't start until July and the fourth new hire doesn't start till April. In a fit of worn out glum this past fall, I asked Matt if we could just take the kids and get away for awhile. This, too, we have to "pay" for because Matt doesn't get vacation days. We take a vacation, he works every other single day of the month, but I really hate the gray winters in Michigan and I really, really needed a break from Saginaw. Financially, we have our ducks in a row. With all this extra money coming in, we decided to not think twice and just blow it all on a really nice trip with the kids.
For Christmas we surprised them with a Disney Cruise to St. Marrten, St. Thomas, and Disney's private island Castaway Cay. With six people in the fam, we had to book two rooms, which means, we had space to bring along Matt's youngest sibling, Katie. Seven days of sun, no chores, no work, so computers, no cell phones was awesome. Luke and Jarom got a big kick out of seeing the Disney characters all over the boat. Elyse got to bunk with her older aunt and felt all grown up when they stayed up late and ordered room service. Everyone loved swimming every day and getting ice cream any time they wanted. I loved the four musicals we saw on the boat and not having to wake up early for anything. The boys enjoyed the Pirates in the Carribean night when they all dressed up like pirates and watched fireworks off the boat. Paul and Luke got to touch a live shark at one of our stops, and watch butterflies fly for the first time. Elyse snorkeled for the first time. Elyse and I won a game show called Mickey Mania and Elyse sang a song all by herself on Kareoke night.
It's been rather depressing coming back home. We went from 85 degree weather is -5 the day we landed. I haven't seen the sun in a week. I've got a gorgous tan, but you can't tell because I keep myself covered from chin to toe in the warmest stuff I've got. Oh sun, I miss you.
I keep telling Matt we should move South.
5 comments:
seriously?! How fun!
Wow, what a fun trip! Glad you got to soak in the sun for a bit. I love hearing about the trips your family makes.
So fun! Glad you got away and got some nice family time! I bet that was like a dream vacation. I'm getting ready for Spring too. Glad you got to sneak some summer in, in the middle of winter!
So insanely jealous here....I'm glad you guys had a great trip!
That looks like so much fun! Especially now that you are home with all the snow :) :)
Post a Comment