Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Blueberry Season Coming to a Close
I took the kids blueberry picking again today. It was supposed to be a church play group, but only me and one other family turned up. Fortunately, today was much cooler than last time which made picking nice. I can tell the season is almost over--the berries were very tiny and some of the bushes well picked over. We're freezing a bunch for smoothies for warm fall and spring days. I tried a new recipe I read in our Relief Society bulletin last week and it turned out great, so I thought I'd share it with any other blueberry fans out there.
Blueberry Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C vegetable oil
3 t vanilla extract
2 1/4 C white sugar
2 C shredded zucchini
3 C all-purpose flour
1 t salt
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 T ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans(or two large pans). In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans. Bake 50 min(two large loaves took about 1hr and 10 min) in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 min in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
On an olympic side note: I love the Russian gymnastic guy Bob Costas keeps interviewing in the broadcasting center: Bela Carouli(sp???). Remember Rachelle, the Atlanta games and Carrie Strug with her broken foot and Bela screaming "You can do it!" We quoted that all the time for a while, didn't we. It's a hoot to watch him watch the girls gymnastics team.
I haven't been as excited about watching track and field. Is it just me or do they seem like punks?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Emily, I almost fell off my chair laughing when you mentioned the whole "you can dooooo it" thing. I had forgotten all about it, but I definitely remember it now. Man, those were the days. I think I had the accent down pretty darn good. Thanks for the memory. You crack me up!!!!
Yum, the recipe sounds good. Blueberries don't grow out here without a lot of coaxing--the soil (sand) isn't acidic enough. Enjoy and send me a tasty thought while you're enjoying a blueberry smoothie this fall.
Post a Comment