Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My pinkie toe's playing peek-a-boo

That's it. I've decided it is definitely time to get into better shape. I've been telling myself for months to lose weight to make the next pregnancy easier, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, I'll get pregnant next month for sure and how much can I actually lose in just one month? Well one summer later, I'm still just as huge and there is no baby in sight. So no more dithering around and making excuses. Last week I started our walking routine that I meant to carry through all summer, but those darn vacations kept getting in the way and then I'd fall out of the habit. I laced up my shoes, de-cobwebbed the jogging stroller, and told the kids to fire up their hot wheel scooters. Mid-way through out walk, I remembered: I have crappy shoes. I can't find tennis shoes anywhere that will accomodate my rather large and protruding pinkie toe on my right foot. On every vacation I got a huge watery blister and on this walk I got the mother of all blisters. A quarter mile away from home, I took the stupid shoe off and walked the rest of the way without it, while Paul and Elyse zoomed on ahead and beat me home. I've been in rather a temper this week, thanks to mother nature, and by the time I limped into the garage, I hated all shoes that I have ever had, and cursing man's stupidity for not making special shoes for big pinkie toe people like me. So I took a knife to my shoe and sawed a hole for my toe. Now when I walk, it sticks out the side of my shoe, playing peek-a-boo every time my right foot hits the pavement. But you know what? No more blisters! Hurray! I might have to make another door for my left foot, which isn't as huge, but is feeling a little left out.

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

Aren't you the innovative one? As far as the weight loss thing goes, I hear ya! Maybe we should do a private weight loss blog or something where we can track our progress and encourage each other. I wonder if anyone else needs a lose a few like me?

Mary Ellen said...

Emily that is a very, very funny, and how very clever of you to think of that solution! My trouble is I have a bunnion that might as well be an extra BIG toe that sticks out perpendicular to the rest of my foot! Good luck with the walking..I know it's hard to keep on keepin' on.

Arianne said...

Hey, I want in on the weight loss blog! I took a three mile walk today. Back to school, back to routine. My pinkie toes are weird too. Do wide shoes help?
Good for you for finding a solution!

Anonymous said...

He he he...I want to see a picture, Emily!
I have done the same thing (for many a month)..."why start working out, when I'll be pregnant next month and be glued horizontally to the couch for the next 3 months?!" Ha! So much for that!
Well, good for you for getting at it! Wish I could walk with you! I go to the gym and think how much more pleasant it would be if I had a friend to go with...poor me...
I don't want in on the weight loss blog..can't loose weight to save my life; you'd all win!
Still wanna see a photo of your shoes,
Susie

Connie said...

Very clever invention! I'm going to start stroller-walking next week when both kids are finally back in school at the same time. So count me in if you start a weight loss blog.