Sunday, April 5, 2009

Egg Drop

Paul had an assignment due on April 1st to bring in an egg in a container that would keep it from breaking when the kids threw them off the top of the tallest slide on the playground. I honestly didn't put much effort into the project. The night before was the night we finished up the storage room in the basement. So the next day his egg was one of the few that broke and he tried to leave the test result paper at school, but his teacher made him bring it home and he was all sad for the afternoon. I'm not a very sympathetic mom when it comes to Paul because his big weakness in life is to let a gray cloud hang over his head all the time, so first I chewed him out for not being a good sport and then told him scientists fail all the time and then just come up with a new plan. I felt guilty later for being so harsh. He's only six and I should have spent more time with him on the project.
We had fhe yesterday during the break in conference (we rarely have fhe on Mondays thanks to Matt's schedule) and for the activity the family split into girls and boys and made new egg drop experiments. The kids were excited to show us their playground at school and had a blast trying out their new experiments. And-drum roll please....................both eggs survived the drop this time. Matt and Paul made a balloon contraption thingy and Elyse and I buried ours in all purpose flour and duct taped around our ziplock container in case it exploded on the ground. I was really surprised our flour idea worked.

1 comment:

Angie Center said...

You know, I find myself being a grumpy mom all the time, but I'm grateful for how forgiving my kids are. I'm glad it all worked out. By the way, how are you feeling these days? I've lost track. When are you due? I miss girls night out.