Sunday, January 11, 2009

An Awesome Discovery

Every year for Mother's Day Matt and the kids buy me a potted orchid. I love orchids. But somehow I manage to kill them by my birthday. They're so finicky about water and I don't think we keep the house warm enough in the winter for them. Once in a while Matt buys me a replacement orchid on my birthday. Last year I killed the birthday orchid in record time--I think two months. So I decided to just give up on them. I kept the dead one around in my bathroom just because I had nothing else to put in the fun pot I had. I didn't water it. I didn't pay it attention. To my surprise the leaves didn't wither away and die and the roots began creeping out of the pot. I moved it to the kitchen, which is the warmest room in the house and my hibiscus tree is doing okay in there. Here we are one year later and yesterday Elyse noticed the orchid has five flower buds on it. Wow! Five! I kept an orchid sort of alive for five years and I'm going to get new blooms! I'm ridiculously excited. More excited than I should be about some picky flowers. I'll have to take a picture when they bloom.

2 comments:

Connie said...

I have killed every indoor plant I've ever tried to grow, and a lot of the outdoor ones, too. I'm just not good with plants.

Angie Center said...

We had to leave behind all our plants when we left Michigan. I miss them.