Monday, January 26, 2009

Conversations with my two-year-old

While potty training Luke, we are pretty much chained to the bathroom and the house. I am slowly losing my mind. I love the boy, honestly, but we have the exact same conversations every day, repeated ten times. As disgusting as this may sound to some, I now take one of those snap on potty chairs wherever we go. I load it in a tote bag along with flushable wipes and lots of extra pull-ups and try and leave the house a few times during the week just for a break. I'm learning where all of the public restrooms are. On the down side, I've been out to lunch quite a bit just because there is no where for the two of us to go in this frigid weather and neither of us are shoppers. Anyway, here's a taste of my daily conversations with a two year old. Luke, first thing in the morning as he sits on the potty: "Mom potty?" (meaning do I use the potty like a big girl.) Me: Yes Luke: Dad potty? Me: Yes Luke: Lyse potty? Me: uh-huh Luke: Paw potty? Me: You tell me. Luke: Luke potty? Me: I sure hope so. Can you stay dry till the alarm rings next time? Luke: Yup. --Repeat this ten times in the morning and afternoon Later in the day, usually when we're getting dressed. Luke: Dad sleep? (Or he'll say work or church) Me: Yes Luke: Dad work? Me: No, he's asleep. Luke: Dad sleep? Me: I already told you. Luke: Oh, Dad sleep. Where Lyse? Me: You know where she is. Luke: Lyse school? Me: Good guess. Luke: Paul school? Me: Yup. (Sometimes I'll shake things up and say he's at work or church and then he'll correct me and tell me Paul's at school. Then why does he ask if he knows?) Luke: Luke school?--laughs at this. Me: Yup. Luke: Mom home? Me: You tell me. --Repeat this, like I said, ten times. And here's his last favorite to repeat-- Luke: Luke baby? (meaning, do I have a baby in my tummy like mom) Me: No, you're a boy. Luke: Dad no baby. Me: Nope Luke: Paul no baby. Me: You got it. Luke: Lyse no baby. Me: Ya, she's too little. Luke: Mom baby? Me: Yup. Luke: Mom two babies? Me: Bless me, no, only one. Luke: Mom little baby? Me: It's not so little anymore Luke: Mom big baby? Me: Sure, why not. Luke: Meghan baby? (my sister in law is pregnant too) Me: Yup. Luke: Adam baby? (Uncle adam, who has a baby pouch on his belly) Me: No, remember he's a boy. Luke: laughs. Adam no baby. --Repeat this, again, like ten times. And the conversation I repeat the most often-- Me: Luke are you still dry? Luke: Yup. Me: Are you sure? Luke: Yup. Me: Do you need to go potty? Luke: Nope Me: Let's go potty anyway. Luke: No! He's getting better, though. He only had one accident yesterday and stayed dry all day at church with three potty breaks in between. He was terrified of the potties there, but now that I bring a seat along, he'll pretty much go anywhere. Boring post, huh? Ha. Ha. Now you know how I feel.

1 comment:

Connie said...

It wasn't too boring - it made me laugh! He sounds a lot like my Andrew. He asks me the same questions over and over and over. It sounds like Luke is doing really well with the potty!