Thursday, January 15, 2009

Having an older child

I am sitting her visiting blogs and Matt is reading a home improvement book while my eight year old loads the dishwasher, scrubs the table, and sweeps the floor and the boys are locked in the toy room picking up toys. I LOVE HAVING OLDER KIDS!!! When Elyse turned eight we told her she'd have more responsibilities like adding a dish night to her chore list, but she'd also have more fun things like staying up late twice a month for Activity Days at the church and piano lessons with Mom (so far, practicing hasn't become a chore, but it will). And Luke is slowly starting to get the cleaning up toys after dinner routine. It's good for Paul to be stuck with most of it since he's leeched off Elyse's speedy cleaning skills for years. Luke stayed dry all day! As he would say, "(A)mazing!"

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Gooooo Luke! Such an awesome achievement! Collin can be such a big help when he wants to be. It's weird to think that in a few years I won't have to do diapers and harnessed car seats anymore. It's so nice to take just Collin to the store because I don't have to carry him or buckle him into a car seat. So nice!

Arianne said...

Emily, you're a wonderful mother/teacher/nurturer. Enjoy your time before #4 arrives!

And way to go, Luke! Maybe the diaper changing sessions outside in your first trimester invested him with a desire to make sure that never happened again! ;p

Connie said...

Can you send your kids over here to teach my kids a thing or two about cleaning? I like your idea, when Bethany turns 8 I think I might do what you did. She's getting old enough she should be able to help once in a while.

Good luck Luke! Way to go!