Friday, January 30, 2009

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Our enrichment group served this at a Super Saturday a couple of years ago and I tried it again this week for the first time in a year. I'd forgotten how much I like it. It's all done in a microwave and it's fast, easy, and each bowl can be custom made to the eater (consumer?) And there's no cream and you can leave out the bacon to make it a "lighter" dish. Chop 1 lb of peeled potatoes (about 3 Cups). Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add 14 oz chicken broth and I C milk, and pepper to taste. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Mash the potatoes. Add 1/2-1 C cheddar cheese and 3 slices of crumbled bacon. To serve, place different ingredients on the serving table for each person to add whatever they like: chopped green onions, sour cream, more crumbled back, a bowl of warmed chopped ham, and steamed broccoli, and more cheddar cheese--or whatever else floats your boat. I usually double this for my family of five. If doubling, increase the cooking times by 1/2. So like eight minutes and then fifteen more.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Yum! I will be trying this- soon!!!! Thanks for sharing it.