Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 20-Grocery shopping day


Tuesdays at our house is grocery shopping day. I load the boys into the minivan and head on over to my favorite grocery store in the whole wide world: Meijer. Don't get the impression, though, that I like this weekly chore. We go with a list and a plan so that we can get in and out as quickly as possible. I like Meijer because they have great sales, a cheap Meijer brand, WONDERAFULLY fresh produce, and kids clothes for very cheap if you wait for the end of season sales. I lived off those sales when we were students. 75% off would usually get me a shirt for a dollar and pants for two. I strap the boys into the double seater carts they have and away we go. You can just forget about trying to turn around in an aisle with one of these babies, they're enormously long and we usually crash into somebody once a week. At the end of the hour, if the boys have been good (and they usuualy are), they get to ride Sandy, the 1 cent pony ride. She's been running since the fifties I think. It's amazing that for one penny I can bribe my boys to behave. Paul usually brings along one toy with him (the army guy in the basket), and he gets to pick out the weekly snack, which he then cluthes protectively until we reach the check out.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

You are a brave brave woman! I have been waiting until Josh is home to go shopping because my kids drive me bonkers!!! Those are some shopping carts though. I could do some serious damage with one of those. Your kids look very well behaved. Good job!

Connie said...

I only go grocery shopping after the kids have gone to bed, and it's hard because I am so tired! When Jorgen is a little bigger and can sit up okay, I might try it with him along.

Arianne said...

My favorite grocery store out here is WinCo. It's one of those bag-your-own but the prices and selection are hard to beat. The trick is that it is in Reno--an hour away. So we go once a month and Gary comes with us. We're quite the circus with two shopping carts and four kids hanging off them and making noise at the top of their lungs. I'm usually pretty grouchy by the end of the ordeal. And then I need to go home and put a month's worth of groceries away. Your system looks preferable. I like the snack idea.